Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Belle gets her Abs Kicked ... Pole Dancing Style!



Spinarella offers different types of classes to help bring out the “inner vixen” in everyone.  The class I attended was called Kick Ass Abs.  I now understand where it gets its name.  Not only did it kick my abs into gear, it kicked my ass, my legs, and everything in between.  The first part of the class was on yoga mats doing exercises intended to strengthen abdominal and leg muscles.  This was not as easy as one may think.  Picture being on the floor, with your back at a 45 degree angle, your legs in the air, and your arms on the sides of your legs.  I’m not going to lie.  I had to use my arms to support my knees and keep me upright.  I did what I could, and will improve from there.

The second part of Kick Ass Abs was targeted to strengthen the butt muscles and surrounding regions.  All I have to say is this.  I haven’t consciously used my pelvis in such a long time that I had to think hard about where it was.  This was a sad realization.

The last part of the class surprised me the most.  As we rolled up our yoga mats, the instructor casually said she was going to get chairs so we could practice our splits.  Splits!  I have not done a split since I was 6!  I lumped it into the category of things this Belle’s body was not made to do.  God did not design my body to cartwheels, acrobatic stunts, or hang upside down.  The mere idea of doing a split freaked me out beyond belief!

One by one, I saw the ladies in my class do the splits.  The instructor placed two wooden chairs in the middle of the floor facing each other.  We were instructed to place one hand in the middle of the seat of both chairs, and slowly extend our legs in opposite directions.  The speed and ease the women showed when doing the splits really shocked me!  I was thinking to myself, ‘I know these big girls won’t be able to get all the way down there’.  I was quickly proved wrong! 

After a few minutes, it was my turn.  “Don’t be scared”, the instructor encouraged.  Whenever someone tells you not to be scared, it’s a signal that you should be afraid.  Very afraid!  But she calmly guided and assisted me through the process of doing the split.  She was patient and kind.  And to my surprise, I was able to get pretty low to the floor!  Twice! 

What did this particular exercise remind me?  Nothing is impossible with a little determination, positive energy, and guidance.

Today, I am extremely sore all over.  Muscles that I didn’t know I had hurt.  It hurts to laugh, sit up, walk, clap my hands – pretty much everything hurts but breathing.  I will repeat my Epsom salt bath and Icy Hot application to help ease the soreness.

If I hadn’t prepaid for 10 sessions on Groupon, I would probably try to talk myself out of going.  But it was such a great deal that I absolutely couldn’t resist!  (I will have to write about my profound affection for Groupon at a later time.)  I also have an accountability partner who is excited, enthusiastic, and hard core.  She and I met during our internship, and I truly believe we are kindred spirits.  We’re both intelligent and determined young women.  We’re extremely goofy and like to have fun.  All during the Kick Ass Abs adventure, she kept telling me I could do it.  She’s even in the process of writing an accountability contract to keep me motivated and on point.  Now that’s dedication!

I will be writing about the Spinarella experience over the next few weeks.  I hope to learn so much more about myself during this venture.  I was always taught that my body is a temple.  But it is not just the appearance of the temple that is important.  You have to be healthy spiritually, physically, and mentally.  I have allowed myself to use my pursuit of higher education and demanding jobs as a reason to neglect certain aspects of my general health.  Over the last few years, I rarely made the time to work out because I felt I didn’t have any time to spare.  This is the end of that. 

I know this will not be easy.  I will probably curse more than a belle should, cry a few times, and think about quitting.   But in my spirit, I can hear my conscience saying, “I think I can I think I can I think I can!”

I know Spinarella will help to make me a healthier, less prudish, and more confident Belle.  My mother also told me that this will prepare me to “be ready for my future husband in the bedroom”.  What all that entails is a subject we may broach at a later time.

One down.  Nine to go!  I am seizing the moment, one pole at a time!

For more information on Spinarella and the classes they offer, visit http://www.spinarella.com/.

Ciao!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'm so glad you guys had an awesome time! Be the end of these 10 sessions you'll be old pros trying to convince the rest of us to join you!

    ReplyDelete