Thursday, January 19, 2012

'Red Tails' Soars into Theaters... Are you Along for the Ride?


This past September, I was privileged to witness my best friend receive his wings as a Marine.  I was proud to be among his family and friends who loved and supported him on that day.  As I prepared for the ceremony, I looked for a gift to present to my friend.  What do you get a Marine who was just winged by the United States military?  A model of the airplane or helicopter he would fly?  A really nice watch engraved with his initials?  A significant piece of Marine memorabilia?

As I was brainstorming and thoroughly searching the Internet, my father made a suggestion.  “Why don’t you get him something related to the Tuskegee Airmen?”  I was shocked to admit that it was a great idea.

The Tuskegee Airmen contributed a great deal to the United States and future African-American pilots.  They were the first Black pilots to fly and sustain combat during World War II.  The pilots were forced to train and learn in segregated classrooms.  Many considered them have a lower intelligence and ability than their White counterparts. 

Although their bravery and commitment is often overlooked, the legacy they left is indestructible.  After extensive research, I decided on a statue made by Thomas Blackshear called The Tuskegee Airmen.  It is a beautiful piece of art, and a dynamic reflection of American history that I believe my friend will have for years to come.

Needless to say, I found a rejuvenated love for the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen.  I was ecstatic when I saw the preview for the movie Red Tails, a George Lucas film that tells the story of the Tuskegee Airmen.  The Airmen painted the tail of their designated planes red to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pilots. 

Although I was elated, I was upset that my first preview of the film was on television approximately three weeks prior to the theatrical release.  The previews for most films are shown countless times on television, in the theatres, and broadcast on radio stations months before the release.  Films that are based on medial concepts and have redundant plots are publicized tirelessly on multiple media outlets. 

So why is it that a historically relevant film that tells the story of American citizens who fought tirelessly, and died bravely, for their country does not receive considerable media attention or publication? 

I could say it is because the film is about war.  However, I would be wrong because Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler’s List were all successful films that reflected times of war.

Perhaps it is because the film was produced by a company that does not make reputable work?  I have two words for you: George Lucas

Just maybe it is because the contributions of the Airmen have not been substantiated or recognized by the United States government.  In 2007, President George Bush honored the Tuskegee Airmen with the Congressional Gold Medal.  He recognized the “unreturned salutes and unforgivable indignities” the Airmen faced.  I was elated to hear that just a few days ago, President Barack Obama and the first lady hosted a screening of Red Tails at the White House.

When I truly think about it, the only reason Red Tails has not received a substantial amount of recognition and praise is because of the all Black cast.  George Lucas, who funded the $90 million dollar project himself, was unable to get backing from major studios.  He stated, “It's because it's an all-black movie. There's no major white roles in it at all...I showed it to all of them and they said no. We don't know how to market a movie like this."

In this country, you will hear many people say they support the military.  They support our soldiers.  Unfortunately, many of the same patriots are selective about the military men and women they choose to support.  The majority of the vocal, die-hard patriots, especially those who reside in the southern states, only support military personnel who are heterosexual, Caucasian, and male.  They conveniently overlook those who are of different ethnicities, genders, and sexualities.  

I cannot begin to describe how angry I become when I think of the cynicism and hypocrisy many so-called Americans embody.  I believe the brave and selfless individuals who fight for the freedom and safety of the citizens of the United States should be afforded the recognition and valor they deserve - regardless of race, sexual orientation, gender, and cultural background.

This is why the movie Red Tails is so important.  The film crosses all of the divides and social constructions that promote hatred and racism.  It is an inspiring story of youthful, dedicated men who were willing to defend their country despite of the adversities. 

It is a story of hope and faith.  Love and pride. 

This week, we celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  The holiday was a reminder that freedom is made possible by the sacrifices of brave men and women whose names we will probably never verbalize.

If you are still not convinced to go see this film, allow me to offer other incentives.  The cast of Red Tails is comprised of talented, intelligent, and gorgeous men.  Let me reiterate gorgeous!  Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Nate Parker, Ne-Yo, Tristan Wilds, Method Man, David Oyelowo, and many, many more.

Furthermore, George Lucas has promised Red Tails will not be a boring production that drills history lessons into our brain.  There is action, action, and more action.

I am pleased to say that this past week, I have seen an increase of advertisements, interviews, and previews for Red Tails.  From Good Morning America to OWN, people are trying to share the importance and historical significance of the film with the world.  We must also do our part.

I support this film not simply because I am African American.  I believe in this film because I am grateful for the sacrifices and hardships of the Tuskegee Airmen.  I am humbled by the contributions our military personnel, and their families, give on a daily basis. 

This weekend, as I celebrate my birthday, I look forward to going to the theatre with my family and watching Red Tails

I hope to see you there!  

1 comment:

  1. This was simply awesome.... You nailed it. I am so inspired to see the movie, I was eager to see because one of my best friend's uncle was a Tuskegee Airmen. You definitely have convinced me to run, not walk to the theatre. Pass the popcorn!!
    Happy Birthday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete