Monday, February 13, 2012

She Loved the Lord: A Thank You to Mrs. Whitney Houston


Today, I was moved to tears as I viewed the Homegoing Service of Mrs. Whitney Houston.  Although I was not there physically, nor do I know the family personally, I felt it was an opportunity to pay my respects.

As I watched the funeral, I realized the spiritual significance of the event.  The service did not only honor a woman whose musical talents were unparallel to any other singer or artist.  Whitney was a mother.  A daughter.  A sister.  A friend.

Whitney Houston used her fame and celebrity status to share a simple, but often forgotten, message: Jesus loves you.

She beautifully declared her love for the Lord countless times.  The soundtrack for The Preacher’s Wife contains 15 records that compel you to feel closer to God and give Him praise.  Since its release in 1996, the soundtrack has been a pivotal part of my family’s life.  Every Saturday, my mother would play the album as we cleaned the house.  After all, how can you invite God to sit and talk with you if there is no room for him to sit when He comes? 

The music gave us energy and peace.  In return, we gave God praise.  The song I Go to the Rock is my testimony.  As I listen to the words, my soul begins to speak:
The Lord is my Rock and my Redeemer.  When I am at my lowest, my God gives me the faith to stand.  When I am lost, the Lord serves as my compass.  When it seems that an army of people and demons are standing against me, God is the strength I turn to.  The ally I can always depend on.  The Lord is my salvation.  I will forever go to the Rock.

We do not always know why God does what He does.  But I do know at least a few things pertaining to the woman whose life is being celebrated and mourned today.  First of all, Whitney Houston loved the Lord and was not afraid to show it.  Secondly, Whitney introduced millions of fans to God through her music.  Thirdly, even in her passing, Whitney serves as a messenger for Jesus.

You see, today, millions of people watched the funeral because they loved and appreciated Whitney for her music and personality.  But more importantly, people who would have never set foot in a church, or attend a Baptist/Christian funeral, witnessed God in action.  It was clear that the Spirit of the Lord was in that place.  He was present through song.  He was present through the ministers who conveyed His message of love.  He was present in the words of encouragement that her friends gave to provide comfort and strength.  When the Spirit of the Lord is present, and acknowledged by His people, there are no limitations on the impact He can have on your life.

Mrs. Cissy Houston showed that she wanted her daughter to leave this Earth the same place she dedicated her life to God – in the church.  She deserves immense respect for doing what she knew was right, even though she was criticized and doubted by others.  The service showed that Whitney’s relationship with God was, and is, sacred.  Many people have the misconception that Christians are supposed to be nosy and judgmental.  This is the farthest from the truth, and I understood Reverend Winans when he said people often wish they had met Christ before they met the Christian.  No one has the right to judge anyone else’s relationship or journey with the Lord because it is a private matter.  We do not have the right to pass judgment at all.  The only thing we have the privilege to do is pray for one another wholeheartedly, and without traces of malice or discontent. 

I believe prayer and faith Move Mountains.  My prayer for today is that the people who were introduced to God while watching the service are inspired to seek Him like they never would have before.  I pray that Whitney’s mother and daughter will find comfort in God’s word, and the knowledge that she is at peace.  I pray that Whitney will be remembered for her legacy of music and love, and not for the hardships and trials she experienced. 

Believing in Christ does not mean we are not allowed to grieve.  Mourning Whitney’s passing will not be easy.  The death of a loved one never is.  .My Grandmother always reminded us that even Jesus wept.  The beauty of faith is believing with all of our hearts that we will see your loved ones again. 

I can only imagine how beautiful Heaven must sound.  It’s a constant Hallelujah festival that never ends.

As Bishop T.D. Jakes said so beautifully, love is more powerful than death.  Why? 

Because Jesus is love


Thank you Whitney.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment